Jamaican Jerk Roast Chicken With Fried Plantains
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
5 Tbsp. The Spice Hunter Jamaican Jerk Blend
- ⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (3½ to 4 lb.) whole chicken, cleaned with giblets removed
- 2 ripe medium plantains
- In a small bowl, combine The Spice Hunter Jamaican Jerk Blend, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and salt. Stir to form a marinade.
Set the chicken in a large bowl and season with the jerk marinade. Stuff the chicken cavity with the juiced limes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place chicken in a large cast-iron skillet or roasting pan breast-side up. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 1 hour uncovered until chicken is dark brown and the temperature between the thigh and breast registers 165°F. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
While the chicken is roasting, heat remaining ⅓ cup of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Remove the peel from the ripened plantains. Cut the plantains in half and slice lengthwise into about ½-inch-thick slices. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Season with salt to taste.
Serve the chicken with the fried plantains.
Recipe curtesy of Food52